Thursday, August 16, 2007

Texas Tubes

Chicago and Texas are very far apart. Look, here's a map:


And they're not getting any closer together, except for the Internet.

The Internet! Fabulous wonder of nature, sketched from a dream and hammered together with destiny-nails.
The Internet! The only thing that could bring all the racists of the world together under one techno-blanket, and give them all the power to crochet different epithets into that blanket.
The Internet! A vast bridge made of wikis and googles and iEverythings that connects Chicago to a place I came from not too long ago, Texas.

Even since I left Texas two years ago the Internet has grown in size and ferocity. Why, my own name has gone from bringing up 8 hits to bringing up over 200! Hits! And isn't it funny that we call it a "hit"? Why don't we call them "soft rubs" instead? Try it. "Mmmm, my web-site has conjured over 350 soft rubs." That feels good, doesn't it?

Through magic invisible tubes I am able to visit Texan friends daily on the Internet. And what visits they are! Instead of "touching" and "speaking with voices that issue from faces" I click on a colorful button and see pictures of them from as recently as 2 months ago! And with myspace technology, those pictures are not only hard to see and difficult to access, but sometimes they disappear altogether! Oh, the pleasures of myspace. Think of the root words ("my" and "space", for all you un-literates) and think of the generosity they imply. Think of the hours I could have wasted "hanging out" with my friends, when I can now instantly (slowly) assimilate information about my "friends"! Bless you, Tom.

Who needs physical Texas, when virtual Texas is a virtual stone's virtual throw virtually away? I never need to see the 10,000 stars available in Texas when I can go to Second Life and, I don't know, buy some shit that isn't even real!

Why would I ever need...you know what? You get the point.

No comments: